[Gambas-user] Project templates

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Tue Sep 22 21:36:24 CEST 2015

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015, Adrien Prokopowicz wrote:
> Le Sat, 19 Sep 2015 03:51:01 +0200, Beno??t Minisini
> <gambas at ...1...> a ??crit:
>
> > Le 19/09/2015 03:26, Adrien Prokopowicz a ??crit :
> >> Le Fri, 18 Sep 2015 13:12:49 +0200, Beno??t Minisini
> >> <gambas at ...1...> a ??crit:

> >> I don't remember anyone asking for this either. That's weird, because
> >> this feature is awesome ! :)
> >>
> >> I have one question though : why are there different project templates
> >> for each GUI toolkit ? Because we can switch toolkits so easily,
> >> isn't "Graphical Application" enough ?
> >> Plus, it's very confusing for less experimented developers who might
> >> not even know what Qt and GTK+ are.
> >>

> > Because they were mainly there before. And if a less experimented
> > developer is not aware of what QT and GTK+ are, he will quickly have
> > problems, so...
> >

> Will he ? You probably know better than me, but I never had any problem
> letting gb.gui choose for me when making a GUI project.
> Also, when getting someone to discover Gambas, I always say "Just use
> Graphical Application, it will automagically select the right toolkit",
> and it always worked fine.
>
> Even as a more experienced user, I see restricting my GUI app to a
> specific toolkit basically useless, unless I want to use Qt-specific
> components (like ext or webkit), which happens very rarely. And if I
> ever want to use these, it's just so easy to click a few checkboxes
> in the components dialog.

I have experienced the contrary. Regularly (but not frequently) I see people
complaining that their projects look or sometimes even behave differently
depending on the machine they are used on. The recent cases which I remember
where all caused by using gb.gui -- well, and the people not knowing about
themes, etc.. I always explain the situation and then recommend to use
gb.qtX. Maybe that's a bad advice but the people come always back satisfied.

I would opt for the QT template to remain [ or be created in the first place;
don't know, I just arrived home and haven't compiled yet :-) ]. OTOH, if I
can create my own templates, I don't care. On the first hand again, I will
care if after release of Gambas 3.9 people come in crying that they don't
know anymore how to create QT4 projects... Indeed I explained surprisingly
often lately where the Components tab is located and what its meaning is.

Regards,
Tobi