[Gambas-user] Egads! A new (nasty) error message

adamnt42 at ...626... adamnt42 at ...626...
Fri Dec 4 22:46:33 CET 2015

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:52:12 +0100
Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...> wrote:

> Le 04/12/2015 05:58, adamnt42 at ...626... a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 14:06:20 +1030 "adamnt42 at ...626..."
> > <adamnt42 at ...626...> wrote:
> >
> >> Generally lately, I'm getting the following error in "random"
> >> places: [42] System error #27: File too large.
> >>
> >> Que?
> >>
> >> bruce
> >
> > Some more information.
> >
> > This is (still "randomly") happening. Error #27 text should be
> > "Cannot load component"     --> (CLUE?) It happens (more frequently)
> > when "/tmp" is on a partition that is getting full (>95% used) and
> > the fattest /tmp user is gambas.500 i.e. me      --> (CLUE?)
>
> No, see Tobias' mail.
>

> > By random places I mean that sometimes it happens when I'm trying to
> > open a project in (another) instance of the IDE and also that the
> > backtrace line that is reported seems (so far) to be entirely
> > "random" i.e. on gambas3 line X where, when I look at that line seems
> > to have nothing to do with file access.
> >
> > However, it does seem to have something to do with loading a
> > component.
> >
> > I have grep'ed the entire source of rev 7495 (both a "pristine" copy
> > and our local mod'ed version) for the string "File too large" with no
> > success :-( I also cannot understand the "[42]" at the beginning of
> > the error message :-(
> >
> > I am in a "maze of twisted little passages that are all different"
> > here, any clues, suggestions gratefully accepted.
> >
> > regards bruce
> >

> Free space in "/tmp" is mandatory for the interpreter, to load
> translations. How is "/tmp" configured on your system exactly?
>
> And please give the exact error messages you get instead of your
> interpretation.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

I think we can stick this on the back-burner for a while.  I also think you have hit the right clue, it does appear to be when a (local) component is translatable and it is loaded either by the IDE or the executable when running it outside the IDE.  I did not include the full error message including the back trace that is displayed in the message box (or the backtrace in the message area inside the IDE) as it appeared to me to be totally random, e.g. it would indicate different lines in different classes inside the IDE code depending on "how I set my tongue"* when I tried to load the said project. (* hope that is translatable?)

One strange thing was, let's say it occurred for project xxx, when I loaded it in the IDE, the IDE would abend after displaying the popup message. But, if I ran the IDE inside the IDE and loaded xxx in there, it didn't fail nor did it show the error.

Anyway, I have moved /tmp to a less space constrained partition and that seems to have solved my problem.

My original query was : What does the "File too large" error message mean? I guess now it is "Attempt to load (some) file (somewhere) has failed due to insufficient free disk space (or something)" . I went off on the wrong track looking for an oversized file somewhere in a component, wondering what is "too large" .  Its pretty ambiguous, like I thought I may have used a huge image file for a Picture property on a control or something, or that maybe there was some data file constraint inside the compiler for files included within the archive.....

Never mind.
regards
bruce

--
B Bruen <adamnt42 at ...3379... (sort of)>