[Gambas-user] I am getting really irritated.

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Aug 29 14:29:48 CEST 2015

Le 29/08/2015 14:08, adamnt42 at ...626... a écrit :
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 01:05:12 +0200 Benoît Minisini
> <gambas at ...1...> wrote:
>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can you try revision #7245 and tell me if it is fine for you?
>>>
>>> Now a component project can have any name you want.
>>>
>>> Then the packager will internally prefix the project name with
>>> the vendor name if not present, so that he is sure to create a
>>> component name and a package name that do not collide with
>>> another one from a different vendor.
>>>
>>> The other requirement on hyphens still remains.
>>>
>>> For example, if your project is "newgrid2" and your vendor name
>>> is "Paddys-Hill", then:
>>>
>>> - The component will be visible as "paddys-hill.newgrid2" - The
>>> package name will be "gambas3-paddys_hill-newgrid2"
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> If it is ok for you, I will make a Gambas 3.8.1 release as soon as
>> possible.
>>
>> -- Benoît Minisini
>>

> Of course, it is up to you. The package naming we can cope with. (Our
> installer now reverses the underscores to hyphens).
>
> The only concern I have is the component naming scheme. I understand
> the rationale - so our "newgrid2" doesn't collide with say Tobi's
> "newgrid2". However, I have some fear that due to the internal naming
> of the component (within the installed library) that we will be up
> for some serious effort supporting existing clients. This is because,
> as I understand it at present, if we make a change to "newgrid2" and
> release it, then all the application level projects at all client
> sites will need to be changed to use the "paddys-hill.newgrid2"
> component.
>
> Such is life. I can see how this will be beneficial should such
> naming collisions occur. I will adjust our thinking to comply.
>
> best regards bruce
>
> p.s. BUT! Be aware that I have now filed a patent application to the
> MegaDodo Publications Bureau Corporation claiming all rights to the
> "ph." prefix (apparently there is prior art on the "gb." prefix.) Any
> violations will result in the usual Vogon poetical justice!

It was a bug that you could name a component just "newgrid2". PRefixing
component with the vendor name was always the goal, to avoid collision.

And yes, maybe I should make a distinction between the vendor full name
("gambas" / "paddys-hill") and the vendor prefix ("gb", "ph") for
component and package names.

If I have time I will add it.

As for the use of "ph" prefix, just claim it so that nobody else uses it
for its own public binary component packages.

Benoît Minisini