[Gambas-user] I am getting really irritated.

adamnt42 at ...626... adamnt42 at ...626...
Sat Aug 29 14:08:38 CEST 2015

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 01:05:12 +0200
Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Can you try revision #7245 and tell me if it is fine for you?
> >
> > Now a component project can have any name you want.
> >
> > Then the packager will internally prefix the project name with the
> > vendor name if not present, so that he is sure to create a component
> > name and a package name that do not collide with another one from a
> > different vendor.
> >
> > The other requirement on hyphens still remains.
> >
> > For example, if your project is "newgrid2" and your vendor name is
> > "Paddys-Hill", then:
> >
> > - The component will be visible as "paddys-hill.newgrid2"
> > - The package name will be "gambas3-paddys_hill-newgrid2"
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> If it is ok for you, I will make a Gambas 3.8.1 release as soon as possible.
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

Of course, it is up to you.
The package naming we can cope with. (Our installer now reverses the underscores to hyphens).

The only concern I have is the component naming scheme. I understand the rationale - so our "newgrid2" doesn't collide with say Tobi's "newgrid2". However, I have some fear that due to the internal naming of the component (within the installed library) that we will be up for some serious effort supporting existing clients. This is because, as I understand it at present, if we make a change to "newgrid2" and release it, then all the application level projects at all client sites will need to be changed to use the "paddys-hill.newgrid2" component.

Such is life. I can see how this will be beneficial should such naming collisions occur. I will adjust our thinking to comply.

best regards
bruce

p.s. BUT! Be aware that I have now filed a patent application to the MegaDodo Publications Bureau Corporation claiming all rights to the "ph." prefix (apparently there is prior art on the "gb." prefix.) Any violations will result in the usual Vogon poetical justice!

--
B Bruen <adamnt42 at ...3379... (sort of)>