[Gambas-user] Gambas 3.8 seems to work odd

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Aug 25 14:52:59 CEST 2015

Le 25/08/2015 11:37, Wolfgang a écrit :
> Hello Benoît,
>
> this is in the example:
> To make it step by step I added a very, very short example with
> SystemInformation. As ZIP-Files are refused, please rename my file!
> (My original program is a ham-software I programmed over more than a
> year now - and which is very complex in all the code)
>
> This is not in the example, but may be of interest:
> What I do have (not in the example obove) is that everything is bigger
> now. The controls, the text etc..

It's because your font changed: the size and position of controls and
forms defined from the IDE form editor are proportional to the desktop
font height. This is a feature, it's there from the very first version
of Gambas!

> What the example makes:
> I simply have place a TabStrip and changed the *BackgroundColor*. This
> worked in 3.6.x (do not know, what exactly the latest official version
> was. Now only the "headline" besides the tabs shows the desired color.

The basic controls are not drawn by Gambas, but by the underlying widget
theme you use. Which is the case for the TabStrip control.

First you must know which GUI component you are using: gb.qt4, gb.qt5,
gb.gtk or gb.gtk3.

If you use gb.gui, then the actual component will be chosen according to
your desktop. If you are using Gnome, then it will be gb.gtk.

Then you must look at which widget theme you are using. If you are using
gb.qt4, according to your system information, you will be using "GTK"
which is a special QT theme that tries to use the current GTK+ theme to
draw, so that the QT application looks the same as the GTK+ ones. But
it's not perfect.

Then you must try to change your widget theme to see how the TabStrip is
drawn in each case.

I hope that I was clear enough!

As for your socket error, I need far more details too!

Benoît Minisini