[Gambas-user] Question on the .gitignore file

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Sep 26 19:09:53 CEST 2014

Le 26/09/2014 17:00, Willy Raets a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> At work I have been playing with setting up a git repository on a server
> to have some version control on Gambas development.
>
> Now I have seen that the Gambas (trunk version) default makes
> a .gitignore file, witch is a very handy thing when working with git.
>
> I was wondering what is the use of ignoring the language .pot files
> (.lang/*.pot)?
>
> I mean if I'm working on a local clone (lets say AClone) of the main git
> repository on the server and I would add a new form, in a translatable
> project, a .pot file would be generated. These are to my understanding
> the .po template files.
>
> After an add and commit of working directory into origin (AClone on the
> local machine) and next pushing it to the server, it would ignore
> these .pot files.
>
> If someone (let say a translator) now clones the server to his local
> machine (lets say B), there would be no .pot file for the new form, so
> no template to translate.
> Could he do translations (in BClone)? Will the IDE generate a new .pot
> file the moment the translator (in BClone) would open the Translation
> form?
>
> If it does, I have no more questions and all is okay.
>
> If not the translator could not do translations for the new form and
> thus the .pot files should not be ignored in .gitignore
>
> Just wondering?

By principle, I don't put any file that is generated in subversion, git,
or any version control system. Which is the case with *.pot files, that
are generated by the compiler (with the bytecode files stored in the
'.gambas' directory, that are not put into version control too).

When you open the translation dialog, the project is compiled, so
normally you should not have any problem. And you must not, so if you
find something strange happening, tell me, it should be a bug.

Benoît Minisini