[Gambas-user] Question on the .gitignore file

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Fri Sep 26 20:26:00 CEST 2014

On vr, 2014-09-26 at 19:09 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 26/09/2014 17:00, Willy Raets a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > At work I have been playing with setting up a git repository on a server
> > to have some version control on Gambas development.
> >
> > Now I have seen that the Gambas (trunk version) default makes
> > a .gitignore file, witch is a very handy thing when working with git.
> >
> > I was wondering what is the use of ignoring the language .pot files
> > (.lang/*.pot)?
> >
> > I mean if I'm working on a local clone (lets say AClone) of the main git
> > repository on the server and I would add a new form, in a translatable
> > project, a .pot file would be generated. These are to my understanding
> > the .po template files.
> >
> > After an add and commit of working directory into origin (AClone on the
> > local machine) and next pushing it to the server, it would ignore
> > these .pot files.
> >
> > If someone (let say a translator) now clones the server to his local
> > machine (lets say B), there would be no .pot file for the new form, so
> > no template to translate.
> > Could he do translations (in BClone)? Will the IDE generate a new .pot
> > file the moment the translator (in BClone) would open the Translation
> > form?
> >
> > If it does, I have no more questions and all is okay.
> >
> > If not the translator could not do translations for the new form and
> > thus the .pot files should not be ignored in .gitignore
> >
> > Just wondering?
> >

> By principle, I don't put any file that is generated in subversion, git,
> or any version control system. Which is the case with *.pot files, that
> are generated by the compiler (with the bytecode files stored in the
> '.gambas' directory, that are not put into version control too).

Okay, if the .pot files are generated by compiler then they are there
when needed and all should be okay.

> When you open the translation dialog, the project is compiled, so
> normally you should not have any problem. And you must not, so if you
> find something strange happening, tell me, it should be a bug.

I haven't encountered anything strange and after this explanation I'm
not expecting anything strange. But if I do, I'll of course report it
back.

Thanks for explaining.

--
Kind regards,