[Gambas-user] A strategical move for two communities: Gambas and The GNU Project

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Tue May 13 23:53:13 CEST 2014

I too have mixed feelings about GNU. However, without them I doubt there
would be as much OSS as there is today. In that respect and support them.
But they do force their will on the projects under them and while I
understand the need for following standards, I don't like that they try to
dictate the direction a project should take. That should be left up to the
users and the developers! I like their philosophy but not their
implementation...

So, in my opinion, since Gambas is already licensed under the GPL those who
would like to see it the GNU Standard Basic Language can simply fork the
project and convert it to GNU compliance. This would maintain Gamba's
freedom and GNU lovers could have their cake and eat it too....

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Benoît Minisini <
gambas at ...1...> wrote:

> Le 13/05/2014 23:01, Tobias Boege a écrit :
> >
> > Doing missionary work, eh?
> >
> > All the promised fame and migration work aside (that would surely work
> out
> > somehow), I'm not happy with the GNU Coding standards thing. Personally,
> > I'm not the biggest fan of them - one reason being alone that it hurts in
> > the eyes to read them, because it takes hours. [ And yes, this is really
> > big point since I DO need to do that - in its entirety - and better also
> > memorise it if Gambas becomes a GNU project, because I then have to
> commit
> > myself to it for standards are there to be obeyed.[*] ]
> >
> > And honestly, I won't dare to say much about their contents because I
> never
> > finished reading them. I tried it quite a number of times (just to check
> if
> > Torvalds really has a point in saying that you should only print them to
> > burn them) - but at some point I really needed a (long) break and so
> never
> > got them entirely read (also because I never *had* to).
> >
> > The only thing I *will* say is that GNU's C notation standards are
> totally
> > inverse to what I consider aesthetic. If it happens that Gambas has to
> obey
> > these standards I will have to set up `indent' scripts or something (god
> > bless indent!) to convert my Linux Kernel coding style to GNU's before I
> do
> > commits (or will Savannah do that automatically?). That's no big deal but
> > certainly annoying.
> >
> > But now, enough of my first-person problems. I only want to say that
> either
> > way I will follow Benoit's decision and pursue all of the work I began on
> > Gambas.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >
> > [*] I may sound a little like a German stereotype - if we were told right
> >      about cliches other countries have about us. Is that true? :-)
> >

> Tobias has a point there.
>
> If becoming a GNU project means that the code must be rewritten to
> follow the GNU's C notation standard, then I can't agree. I don't have
> the time to do that.
>
> Not that I am against standard, but I'm like Tobias, I don't like the
> way GNU code is written, it's unreadable for me.
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?