[Gambas-user] A strategical move for two communities: Gambas and The GNU Project

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue May 13 23:30:05 CEST 2014

Le 13/05/2014 23:01, Tobias Boege a écrit :

> Doing missionary work, eh?
>
> All the promised fame and migration work aside (that would surely work out
> somehow), I'm not happy with the GNU Coding standards thing. Personally,
> I'm not the biggest fan of them - one reason being alone that it hurts in
> the eyes to read them, because it takes hours. [ And yes, this is really a
> big point since I DO need to do that - in its entirety - and better also
> memorise it if Gambas becomes a GNU project, because I then have to commit
> myself to it for standards are there to be obeyed.[*] ]
>
> And honestly, I won't dare to say much about their contents because I never
> finished reading them. I tried it quite a number of times (just to check if
> Torvalds really has a point in saying that you should only print them to
> burn them) - but at some point I really needed a (long) break and so never
> got them entirely read (also because I never *had* to).
>
> The only thing I *will* say is that GNU's C notation standards are totally
> inverse to what I consider aesthetic. If it happens that Gambas has to obey
> these standards I will have to set up `indent' scripts or something (god
> bless indent!) to convert my Linux Kernel coding style to GNU's before I do
> commits (or will Savannah do that automatically?). That's no big deal but
> certainly annoying.
>
> But now, enough of my first-person problems. I only want to say that either
> way I will follow Benoit's decision and pursue all of the work I began on
> Gambas.
>
> Regards,
> Tobi
>
> [*] I may sound a little like a German stereotype - if we were told right
>      about cliches other countries have about us. Is that true? :-)

Tobias has a point there.

If becoming a GNU project means that the code must be rewritten to
follow the GNU's C notation standard, then I can't agree. I don't have
the time to do that.

Not that I am against standard, but I'm like Tobias, I don't like the
way GNU code is written, it's unreadable for me.

--
Benoît Minisini