[Gambas-user] Gambas Future or what kind of Gambas we want.

Tom tom at ...3139...
Thu Jan 23 15:46:31 CET 2014

I have to agree 100% with Carl!

I too have experience programming GUI's for about 15 years with VB6. I have a
very small amount of Linux experience.
The reason I am reading this list is that I did not like .Net and wanted to find
an alternative to VB6.  I found Gambas and it looked good.  I managed to get
(after a week of trying) a version of Linux running and got Gambas running on
it. All I wanted to do was create some sample user screens to show someone my
concepts. That was at least 6 months ago.  The whole Linux experience was more
than I had time for or wanted to suffer through.  The first graphical drag/drop
thing I tried to do wouldn't work with Gambas, however was not too difficult
with VB6.

I don't know how to compile a new version/release of Gambas when bug fixes come
out.  Its far to complicated for me.  If I had a few months of spare time,
maybe.  So I gave up, found my old copy of VB6 and was running in about an hour.
I don't feel I can use VB6 for anything for a customer these days, so I am still
looking for something like VB6 that I can use without needing to learn a new
operating system to use it.

 From what I have seen, and some of the playing around with Gambas, it looks
very nice and the closest I have seen to VB6.
I just get very frustrated when it takes months of work to do an eight hour project.

I know a lot of people will say "its not that hard" or "I did it in only four
hours" but you are already knowledgeable in Linux.
Tom