[Gambas-user] Gambas Future or what kind of Gambas we want.

Carl Nilsson nilsson at ...1979...
Thu Jan 23 13:57:27 CET 2014

Tobias:
Thank you for reply.  I think maybe you misunderstood a couple of
points I was trying to make.
I was not criticizing any language, particularly not Gambas.  Nor was
inferring that Linux is not a great set of op. systems, one or many
of which would be of long-term advantage to a user.  Switching to
Linux does however pose a early barrier that must be surmounted
before many people become comfortable with it.  I have been
programming off and on for nearly 55 years, but only as a scientific
user and not a professional.  I met Unix in the 1970's, but did not
continue to use it.  To put VB6 onto Windows XP, I insert the CD,
click a few times, put in my keycode and it is done.  Heaps and heaps
of online help, both from MS and the net.  The installation process
for Gambas into Linux, plus other components gets better with time,
but is still challenging for many, including those with significant
past programming experience.

You said it yourself: "There are also seasoned Linux users who will
appreciate Gambas
and there are youngsters whose first language Gambas may be. All the old VB6
users _I_ have met (shortly after their switch to Linux and Gambas,
admittedly!) were really confused about the distributions' way of package
management, Gambas components, etc. and more complained about the whole
situation. I can't remember having heard from them again.".

That's my main point.   The original question was about how to ensure
the future of gambas.  Maybe that's already been done by it's
intrinsic quality.  However, to increase the takeup and use - and
hence continued development long into the future - you have to pay
attention to potential users and meet their requirements for
installation and maintenance.  A bit more attention to nearly two
million users of a board like the RPi would not go amiss.   The
BeagleBone Black creates another opportunity.  Why Python and not Gambas?
Carl