[Gambas-user] Printing text vertically (using printing or gb.report)

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Thu Jan 16 10:55:49 CET 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 10:44 +0100, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:

> Am 16.01.2014 10:30, schrieb Willy Raets:
> > On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 10:04 +0100, Willy Raets wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have a Dymo Label writer at work and need to print address labels.
> >> Thing is that the labels are in portrait and the text needs to be
> >> printed vertically instead of horizontally as it happens now.
> >>
> >> I have tried with both printing and reports but don't manage to get the
> >> job done. Text aways gets printed horizontal and thus the addresses
> >> don't fit the width or the Dymo Label.
> >>
> >> The size of the Dymo labels that need to be printed is:
> >> PaperWidth = 35.630555
> >> PaperHeight = 88.9
> >> Both sizes are in milimeters (mm).
> >>
> >> I used to do this with reports from MS Access and there you can simply
> >> set the textlabels on the report vertically instead of horizontally.
> >> Didn't find a manner to achieve that with gb.report. Does that exist?
> >>
> >> The project itself is a rebuilt in Gambas of MS Access clients apps
> >> currently used. I can't send the code because:
> >> a. it is too big a project
> >> b. it contains specific inside company information that is not meant for
> >> the public.
> >> I'll try and make a printed pdf of the result later today to show you
> >> what I mean.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >>

> > Anyone any suggestion as I really need this to work somehow.
> >

> It should be possible to make the page (pdf painting surface) landscape:

Are you talking gb.cairo component here as you mention a pdf painting
surface as I haven't had a go at that. I was playing with the printer
object and had a go with gb.reports.

> myPrinter.Orientation = Printer.Landscape

This suggestion sets me to think. The Dymo labels are in portrait in the
Dymo label printer. So making a landscape label on a pdf surface and
next print this in landscape (so actually giving the landscape design a
twist to being printed in portrait) could do the job. I'am going to give
this a try as soon as I am at work.

> Does this help? It runs flawlessly here on my system... If it doesn't
> react, try setting gb.qt4 instead of gb.gui for the components to load.
> I had a problem here with it the other day, and I don't know if Benoit
> has already fixed it.

I'm using gb.qt4 in the project so that should be okay. I'll let you
know if I managed to get it done. Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Kind regards,

Willy (aka gbWilly)

http://gambasshowcase.org/