[Gambas-user] Solving the Gambas packaging problem psychologically (!)

Fri Jan 10 08:50:15 CET 2014

Am 08.01.2014 20:39, schrieb Fernando Martins:
> On 01/07/2014 09:38 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>> Le 07/01/2014 17:53, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
>>> As for TerraGen: http://planetside.co.uk/products/terragen3
>>>
>>> But those guys have been programming it for years, so it would be hard
>>> to come up with anything near to its perfection...
>>>
>>> The serial letter thing is (in a very simple form) the project I just
>>> sent you.
>>>
>>> This image editor in the Gambas IDE, where is it? How can I access it?
>>>
>> Just put any image file (jpg, png, gif or xpm) in your project and
>> double-click on it from the IDE.
>>
> I haven't checked it myself but your idea might not be so far fetched :)
> I have not seen the latest versions of bitmap editors in Linux, but all
> of those I have checked a couple of years ago, I always missed some
> critical feature when compared to good old MS Paint Brush!! That's how
> low my standard was. Amazing and very frustrating. My uses were actually
> quite simple: grab some screenshot with PrtScn (or Alt+PrtScn), paste
> into MS PB, do some basic image manipulation, but including pixel level
> manipulation with a zoom, add some text, and then use it in a
> presentation or the web. I remember the only feature I missed in PB was
> to set the transparency color and some file format.
>
> Plenty of Linux bitmap editors would fail on the clipboard requirement.
> Others in the zoom, or the text, IIRC. The only one that worked decently
> was the very old x-paint (IIRC the name) a pure X app, ugly as it could
> be but solid and fairly deep stuff. (gimp was not for me)
>
> Fernando

A few minutes ago, I wanted to do just the thing you mentioned (take a
web graphic / screenshot, draw some lines, add a few comments, and put
it back into a forum article). Gimp is way too sophisticated to do such
things quick-and-dirty, and I didn't know what to use else. So: 100 % agree.

On my distro, some mtPaint has been installed (and I hadn't even noticed
yet). It seems it's older stuff, so it might have come in together with
KDE3 (although it's GTK+). If you can find it, take a look at it. Or I
could make a screenshot... It offers a lot of functions via the menues,
much too many in my opinion. But it was delevoped to work on icon
bitmaps, according to the impressum text.

Anyway, its functions would mark the limit for me in such a tool. At a
first glance, I would change the toolbars to a "minimum necessary" and a
"show it all" version to not scare away beginners. And one might add a
customizing function that allows icons/functions to swap between the two
modes for usability.

What I wanted to say is, the more I keep thinking about it, the more I
begin to like this idea.

Rolf