[Gambas-user] Solving the Gambas packaging problem psychologically (!)

Thu Jan 9 08:58:01 CET 2014

Am 08.01.2014 20:39, schrieb Fernando Martins:
> On 01/07/2014 09:38 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>> Le 07/01/2014 17:53, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
>>> As for TerraGen: http://planetside.co.uk/products/terragen3
>>>
>>> But those guys have been programming it for years, so it would be hard
>>> to come up with anything near to its perfection...
>>>
>>> The serial letter thing is (in a very simple form) the project I just
>>> sent you.
>>>
>>> This image editor in the Gambas IDE, where is it? How can I access it?
>>>
>> Just put any image file (jpg, png, gif or xpm) in your project and
>> double-click on it from the IDE.
>>
> I haven't checked it myself but your idea might not be so far fetched :)
> I have not seen the latest versions of bitmap editors in Linux, but all
> of those I have checked a couple of years ago, I always missed some
> critical feature when compared to good old MS Paint Brush!! That's how
> low my standard was. Amazing and very frustrating. My uses were actually
> quite simple: grab some screenshot with PrtScn (or Alt+PrtScn), paste
> into MS PB, do some basic image manipulation, but including pixel level
> manipulation with a zoom, add some text, and then use it in a
> presentation or the web. I remember the only feature I missed in PB was
> to set the transparency color and some file format.
>
> Plenty of Linux bitmap editors would fail on the clipboard requirement.
> Others in the zoom, or the text, IIRC. The only one that worked decently
> was the very old x-paint (IIRC the name) a pure X app, ugly as it could
> be but solid and fairly deep stuff. (gimp was not for me)
>
> Fernando

Yes, I think this is a good starting point: a practical tool, not a
functional dinosaur, but with the most important tools in it. Gwenview
for instance is a good viewer, but only a viewer. IrfanView in the
Windows world tries to be a viewer with a set of most important
manipulation tools, but is mostly used as a viewer. And the latest MS
Paint thing just drives me nuts with its unsorted surface.

Rolf