[Gambas-user] Fwd: Specifications for Gambas 3

Kende Krisztián nemh at ...2007...
Mon Oct 28 17:31:22 CET 2013

>>> [WARNING: Debian packager discussion coming up, look away if you are
>>> easily offended]
>>>
>>> it is possible to use | in the Depends: field to make a package depend
>>> on one OR another package, so you could do "gambas3-gb-gtk | gambas3-gb-qt4"
>> Yeah, I know this, but gb.gui not work on GNOME desktop without
>> gambas3-gb-gtk. And gb.gui not work on KDE without gambas3-gb-qt4. One
>> can not replace the other in each case. So these packages are depends.
>> Not just one, but both. Only one is loaded simultaneously, so do not use
>> extra RAM.
> It's not the problem of using extra RAM, but disk space.
>
> If gb.gui depends on gb.qt4 *and* gb.gtk, then installing gb.gui will
> install both toolkits, whereas the user needs only one of them. That
> must be avoided absolutely.
>
> We need a conditional dependency that depends on another package, and
> mutually. For example, on Ubuntu:
>
> gambas3-gb-gui depends on gambas-gb-gtk only if libgtk2.0-0 is installed.
>
> And if libgtk2.0-0 and gambas3-gb-gui is installed, then gambas3-gb-gtk
> should be installed.
>
> I don't think it is possible, but this is what is really needed!

I can set this:

Depends: gambas3-gb-gtk | gambas3-gb-qt4

But if I do this, then gb.gui component may not work in all situations.
This is really bad, and that must be avoided as well.

However, I'll do what you ask, because the Gambas is yours. I will
follow the original specifications, not this with package selector.

>> If my package is depend from gambas3-gb-gtk, then do not have to depend
>> from gambas3-gb-gui and gambas3-gb-qt4 .
>>> is there a "gambas3-gb-desktop-kde"? I didn't think so, if but there is
>>> you can use the same trick
>>> If not I'd pick some kde package that represents the desktop as use this
>>> as the other "half" of the | clause, so you get the
>>> gambas3-gb-desktop-gnome if KDE isn't installed.
>> The gambas3-gb-desktp package is the basic. And this package doesn't
>> work on GNOME desktop without gambas3-gb-desktop-gnome. And if I use
>> KDE, but I install GNOME desktop (or use both), this component is not
>> work anymore. So it does not seem like a good solution. And this is a
>> real situation.
>>
>> Kendek
>>
> Maybe a Gambas installer made in Gambas is the real solution. It will be
> able to handle correctly such dependencies and install the needed
> packages as expected.

A moment of installation can give you good results. But if user install
other desktop environment, application may not work anymore.