[Gambas-user] Fwd: Specifications for Gambas 3

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Oct 28 15:52:09 CET 2013

Le 28/10/2013 07:40, Kende Krisztián a écrit :

>> On 23/10/13 23:15, Kende Krisztián wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have read the "How To Package Gambas" document
>>> (http://www.gambasdoc.org/help/howto/package?v3#t2) and some things I
>>> do not understand:
>>>
>>> The runtime package contain the gb.gui component, but gambas3-runtime
>>> is not depend from gambas3-gb-gtk or gambas3-gb-qt4. Gb.gui does not
>>> work without them.
>> [WARNING: Debian packager discussion coming up, look away if you are
>> easily offended]
>>
>> it is possible to use | in the Depends: field to make a package depend
>> on one OR another package, so you could do "gambas3-gb-gtk | gambas3-gb-qt4"
> Yeah, I know this, but gb.gui not work on GNOME desktop without
> gambas3-gb-gtk. And gb.gui not work on KDE without gambas3-gb-qt4. One
> can not replace the other in each case. So these packages are depends.
> Not just one, but both. Only one is loaded simultaneously, so do not use
> extra RAM.

It's not the problem of using extra RAM, but disk space.

If gb.gui depends on gb.qt4 *and* gb.gtk, then installing gb.gui will
install both toolkits, whereas the user needs only one of them. That
must be avoided absolutely.

We need a conditional dependency that depends on another package, and
mutually. For example, on Ubuntu:

gambas3-gb-gui depends on gambas-gb-gtk only if libgtk2.0-0 is installed.

And if libgtk2.0-0 and gambas3-gb-gui is installed, then gambas3-gb-gtk
should be installed.

I don't think it is possible, but this is what is really needed!

> If my package is depend from gambas3-gb-gtk, then do not have to depend
> from gambas3-gb-gui and gambas3-gb-qt4 .
>>> Gambas3-gb-desktop-gnome package is depend from gambas3-gb-desktop, but
>>> vice versa is not true (in other words, the previous contents are not
>>> part of the latter). If use gb.desktop component on GNOME desktop, the
>>> following error message comes up: Cannot load component
>>> 'gb.desktop.gnome': cannot find component
>> is there a "gambas3-gb-desktop-kde"? I didn't think so, if but there is
>> you can use the same trick
>> If not I'd pick some kde package that represents the desktop as use this
>> as the other "half" of the | clause, so you get the
>> gambas3-gb-desktop-gnome if KDE isn't installed.
> The gambas3-gb-desktp package is the basic. And this package doesn't
> work on GNOME desktop without gambas3-gb-desktop-gnome. And if I use
> KDE, but I install GNOME desktop (or use both), this component is not
> work anymore. So it does not seem like a good solution. And this is a
> real situation.
>
> Kendek

Maybe a Gambas installer made in Gambas is the real solution. It will be
able to handle correctly such dependencies and install the needed
packages as expected.

--
Benoît Minisini