[Gambas-user] Pre-release of Gambas 3.5.1

Sebastian Kulesz sebikul at ...626...
Mon Nov 18 16:10:38 CET 2013

I wanted to step in earlier but with finals coming closer i'm short of time.

I believe you are mixing a few things here. Ubuntu 12.04 is not the latest
stable release, 13.10 is, 12.04 is the latest release with LTS, which is a
completely different thing, and i understand that you want to stick with it
until it reaches EOL, but here is your problem:
There is no LTS or EOL policy with Gambas, there are only stable, daily and
old releases. We don't have the manpower to maintain an LTS release, and
with the packages in the official repositories being old and corrupt,
everyone is forced to use the Stable PPA.

The thing is, keeping a package updated like a rolling release
distribution, under a distro with LTS support will cause you a lot of
trouble with dependencies. You are already experiencing this! There is no
point to backport gstreamer-1.0, because that would mean recompiling every
package that uses it, and thus breaking the stability you are mentioning
that makes an LTS release.

So, if you want to stick with Ubuntu 12.04, don't keep updating Gambas! Use
the same policy Ubuntu uses. Choose a release that works, and stick with
it! If Ubuntu does an Import Freeze, you should too.
If you need the latest features available in Gambas, then you will also
need the latest packages Ubuntu publishes.

Summing up: you either update both, or none.
Choosing one will also cause stability issues: If you install updated
versions of packages already available in the repositories you are
contradicting the reason you want to stick with LTS (which is sticking with
versions known to be stable).

If you really need gb.media to be updated, look for other options. You have
a PPA available here [0] which will install gstreamer-1.0 along with the
default gstreamer-0.10.

Kendek: By backporting gb.media and gb.jit you are restricting me from
asking an Ubuntu MOTU to sync the Gambas packages for older series with
your PPA once the Debian repository is updated. They will not accept a
package which has a dependency not available in the official repos.

[0]
https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-developers/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=precise