[Gambas-user] Pre-release of Gambas 3.5.1

Kende Krisztián nemh at ...2007...
Fri Nov 15 12:15:22 CET 2013

> [...]
>
> Here is what happens on my test system.
> It is a replication of Gambas applications running in a production
> environment, installed using .deb packages.
>
> I'll first give you some details on the situation.
>
> The system had Gambas 3.4.2 applications installed (no Gambas IDE as it
> is on end user sytems).
> The Gambas applications installed:
> App 1
> -> depends on gb.args, gb.desktop, gb.form, gb.gui, gb.image,
> gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.settings
> -> depends on a Gambas library depending on gb.gui, gb.image, gb.net,
> gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.settings
>
> Apps 2 and 3
> -> depends on gb.args, gb.cairo, gb.desktop, gb.form, gb.image,  gb.net,
> gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.qt4.ext, gb.settings
> -> depends on a Gambas library depending on gb.image, gb.net,
> gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.settings
>
> Apps 4
> -> depends on gb.args, gb.cairo, gb.desktop, gb.form, gb.image,  gb.net,
> gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.qt4.ext, gb.qt4.webkit, gb.settings
> -> depends on a Gambas library depending on gb.image, gb.net,
> gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.settings
>
> App 5
> -> depends on gb.args, gb.form, gb.image, gb.mime, gb.qt4, gb.settings
>
> When updating from 3.4.2 to 3.5.1 these parts get updated:
> gambas3-gb-cairo
> gambas3-gb-form
> gambas3-gb-gtk
> gambas3-gb-image
> gambas3-gb-net
> gambas3-gb-net-curl
> gambas3-gb-qt4
> gambas3-gb-qt4-ext
> gambas3-gb-qt4-webkit
>
> All other parts stayed at 3.4.2 and where not updated.
> After this none of the applications would install!!
>
> So I upgraded gambas3-runtime (still at 3.4.2) to 3.5.1
> This caused App 1 + Gambas library it needs to be removed
> This caused App 5 to be uninstalled
>
> App 2, 3 and 4 still run, although following components are still on
> 3.4.2 version:
> gambas3-gb-args
> gambas3-gb-desktop
> gambas3-gb-net-smtp
>
> I did upgrade them to 3.5.1 after testing the Apps.
>
> The Gambas library using gb.gui can not be reinstalled
> Dependency error = gambas3-gb-gui (>=3.0.90).
> Because of this App 1 can't be installed as it depends on above Gambas
> library.
>
> App 5 did reinstall and I still wonder why it got removed!!
> Could be an older version of the app using gb.gtk was still installed.
> The newest version used gb.qt4, at that seems to be okay.
>
> It seems that gb.gui apps will not install if there are other Gambas
> apps installed using gb.qt4.
>
> The system is a Lubuntu 12.04 LXDE, so gb.gui would prefer using gb.gtk.
> What has changed that Gambas apps using gb.gtk and gb.qt4 can't run on
> the same system?
>
> So seems I'll need to stick to 3.4.2 a bit longer in a production

This is a fixed Gambas bug in the integrated packager. Please re-build
the installation packages with Gambas 3.5.1 IDE.
(I prefer the manual building.)

> @ Benoît:
> Fact that gb.media will not run an a Ubuntu 12.04 is another of my
> concerns. In production and personal environment I always stick to the
> latest stable release (being 12.04 in buntu with a 5 year support cycle)
> and this advise I also give to friends that I got onto linux.
>
> Why does Gambas need to depend on stuff that doesn't run on the latest
> stable releases that are just 1 1/2 year out there and will be used for
> several years to come.
> Do we really need these hight dependencies when they only run on the
> latest unstable releases (releases I only run the in VMs for testing
> purposes and would never consider using in a production environment).
>
> I aim at running systems unchanged as long as possible, meaning a much
> lower cost of ownership. So if Ubuntu 12.05 comes with a 5 year service,
> it will run for at least 5 years in the production environment it is
> being used. Why change what works just fine? Just because there is some
> new fancy stuff out there?
>
> I am migrating a Windows production environment to Linux and all custom
> written apps from VB to Gambas. The apps are used 7 days a week, 365
> days a year for 13 hours a day. For the migration to work I can't afford
> future components not being able to install because the OS running at
> work are 2 years old.
>
> I really need some clarity here, before continuing with the migration to
> Gambas as I don't want an upgrade to a higher version of Gambas break
> stuff that worked just fine, purely because of dependencies that can't
> be met.

If you want, I backport the new 'gb.media' component.

Kendek