[Gambas-user] Pre-release of Gambas 3.5.1

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Thu Nov 14 15:11:32 CET 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 18:16 +0100, Kende Krisztián wrote:
> It seems that this was a very well done release. Gambas3-runtime was
> downloaded ~15.000 times from nemh/gambas3 PPA, so far, no bug reports. :-)

Here is what happens on my test system.
It is a replication of Gambas applications running in a production
environment, installed using .deb packages.

I'll first give you some details on the situation.

The system had Gambas 3.4.2 applications installed (no Gambas IDE as it
is on end user sytems).
The Gambas applications installed:
App 1
-> depends on gb.args, gb.desktop, gb.form, gb.gui, gb.image,
gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.settings
-> depends on a Gambas library depending on gb.gui, gb.image, gb.net,
gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.settings

Apps 2 and 3
-> depends on gb.args, gb.cairo, gb.desktop, gb.form, gb.image,  gb.net,
gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.qt4.ext, gb.settings
-> depends on a Gambas library depending on gb.image, gb.net,
gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.settings

Apps 4
-> depends on gb.args, gb.cairo, gb.desktop, gb.form, gb.image,  gb.net,
gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.qt4.ext, gb.qt4.webkit, gb.settings
-> depends on a Gambas library depending on gb.image, gb.net,
gb.net.curl, gb.net.smtp, gb.qt4, gb.settings

App 5
-> depends on gb.args, gb.form, gb.image, gb.mime, gb.qt4, gb.settings

When updating from 3.4.2 to 3.5.1 these parts get updated:
gambas3-gb-cairo
gambas3-gb-form
gambas3-gb-gtk
gambas3-gb-image
gambas3-gb-net
gambas3-gb-net-curl
gambas3-gb-qt4
gambas3-gb-qt4-ext
gambas3-gb-qt4-webkit

All other parts stayed at 3.4.2 and where not updated.
After this none of the applications would install!!

So I upgraded gambas3-runtime (still at 3.4.2) to 3.5.1
This caused App 1 + Gambas library it needs to be removed
This caused App 5 to be uninstalled

App 2, 3 and 4 still run, although following components are still on
3.4.2 version:
gambas3-gb-args
gambas3-gb-desktop
gambas3-gb-net-smtp

I did upgrade them to 3.5.1 after testing the Apps.

The Gambas library using gb.gui can not be reinstalled
Dependency error = gambas3-gb-gui (>=3.0.90).
Because of this App 1 can't be installed as it depends on above Gambas
library.

App 5 did reinstall and I still wonder why it got removed!!
Could be an older version of the app using gb.gtk was still installed.
The newest version used gb.qt4, at that seems to be okay.

It seems that gb.gui apps will not install if there are other Gambas
apps installed using gb.qt4.

The system is a Lubuntu 12.04 LXDE, so gb.gui would prefer using gb.gtk.
What has changed that Gambas apps using gb.gtk and gb.qt4 can't run on
the same system?

So seems I'll need to stick to 3.4.2 a bit longer in a production
environment.

@ Benoît:
Fact that gb.media will not run an a Ubuntu 12.04 is another of my
concerns. In production and personal environment I always stick to the
latest stable release (being 12.04 in buntu with a 5 year support cycle)
and this advise I also give to friends that I got onto linux.

Why does Gambas need to depend on stuff that doesn't run on the latest
stable releases that are just 1 1/2 year out there and will be used for
several years to come.
Do we really need these hight dependencies when they only run on the
latest unstable releases (releases I only run the in VMs for testing
purposes and would never consider using in a production environment).

I aim at running systems unchanged as long as possible, meaning a much
lower cost of ownership. So if Ubuntu 12.05 comes with a 5 year service,
it will run for at least 5 years in the production environment it is
being used. Why change what works just fine? Just because there is some
new fancy stuff out there?

I am migrating a Windows production environment to Linux and all custom
written apps from VB to Gambas. The apps are used 7 days a week, 365
days a year for 13 hours a day. For the migration to work I can't afford
future components not being able to install because the OS running at
work are 2 years old.

I really need some clarity here, before continuing with the migration to
Gambas as I don't want an upgrade to a higher version of Gambas break
stuff that worked just fine, purely because of dependencies that can't
be met.

--
Kind regards,

Willy (aka gbWilly)