[Gambas-user] sge component and md2 file modeling software

Thu Nov 14 19:51:16 CET 2013

On 11/14/2013 07:41 AM, Randall Morgan wrote:
> Yes, I do think adding support for newer model types would be good. Perhaps
> even add support for models done in solid works....
>

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...> wrote:
>
>> Le 14 nov. 2013 06:14, "Kevin Fishburne" <kevinfishburne at ...1887...>
>> a écrit :
>>> Using the example program as a reference I was able to successfully
>>> render one of its included md2 models. If anyone needs a very spartan
>>> starter tutorial, my basic code looks like this:
>>>
>>>     ' Model array declared at beginning of Render module.
>>>     Public Model[32768] As Md2Object
>>>
>>>     ' Model loading procedure test (index 500 is arbitrary).
>>>     Dim TempModel As Md2Model
>>>     TempModel = Md2Model.Load(BasePath & "/model/test/md2test.md2")
>>>     TempModel.Texture = LoadTexture(BasePath & "/model/test/md2test.jpg")
>>>     Model[500] = New Md2Object(TempModel)
>>>
>>>     ' Render command after OpenGL matrix has been set.
>>>     Model[500].Draw
>>>
>>> I've been having a hell of a time finding decent modeling software that
>>> can export to the md2 format, as it is very old (though quite nice for
>>> my needs). I created an untextured cube in Misfit Model 3D (1.3.7, stock
>>> Kubuntu 13.10 repo) and exported it to md2, but my code raises sig 11
>>> when it tries to execute the Draw method.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any insight into what modeling applications exist that
>>> can export to md2 format? I'd love to learn Blender, but all the md2
>>> export scripts I found failed. I think they were designed for older
>>> versions. Maybe I should look for an old Blender version...or contact
>>> the Nexuiz team. Any advice is appreciated, and to whoever wrote the sge
>>> component, thank you.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kevin Fishburne
>>> Eight Virtues
>>> www: http://sales.eightvirtues.com
>>> e-mail: sales at ...1887...
>>> phone: (770) 853-6271
>>>
>> Maybe the best will be to add another format more accurate with the current
>> technologies.

Thanks everyone. I'll give the mentioned programs a try and keep
investigating.

I looked up Blender's stock export formats on Wikipedia and the only one
that looks useful is X3D:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3D
http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/x3d/what-x3d

Seems geared toward rendering in a web browser, although I don't know
why it couldn't be implemented outside of one. I searched the package
names for x3d and couldn't find anything. Maybe there's a lib out there
somewhere.