[Gambas-user] sge component and md2 file modeling software

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Thu Nov 14 13:41:39 CET 2013

Yes, I do think adding support for newer model types would be good. Perhaps
even add support for models done in solid works....

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...> wrote:

> Le 14 nov. 2013 06:14, "Kevin Fishburne" <kevinfishburne at ...1887...>
> a écrit :
> >
> > Using the example program as a reference I was able to successfully
> > render one of its included md2 models. If anyone needs a very spartan
> > starter tutorial, my basic code looks like this:
> >
> >    ' Model array declared at beginning of Render module.
> >    Public Model[32768] As Md2Object
> >
> >    ' Model loading procedure test (index 500 is arbitrary).
> >    Dim TempModel As Md2Model
> >    TempModel = Md2Model.Load(BasePath & "/model/test/md2test.md2")
> >    TempModel.Texture = LoadTexture(BasePath & "/model/test/md2test.jpg")
> >    Model[500] = New Md2Object(TempModel)
> >
> >    ' Render command after OpenGL matrix has been set.
> >    Model[500].Draw
> >
> > I've been having a hell of a time finding decent modeling software that
> > can export to the md2 format, as it is very old (though quite nice for
> > my needs). I created an untextured cube in Misfit Model 3D (1.3.7, stock
> > Kubuntu 13.10 repo) and exported it to md2, but my code raises sig 11
> > when it tries to execute the Draw method.
> >
> > Does anyone have any insight into what modeling applications exist that
> > can export to md2 format? I'd love to learn Blender, but all the md2
> > export scripts I found failed. I think they were designed for older
> > versions. Maybe I should look for an old Blender version...or contact
> > the Nexuiz team. Any advice is appreciated, and to whoever wrote the sge
> > component, thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Kevin Fishburne
> > Eight Virtues
> > www: http://sales.eightvirtues.com
> > e-mail: sales at ...1887...
> > phone: (770) 853-6271
> >

> Maybe the best will be to add another format more accurate with the current
> technologies.

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?