[Gambas-user] The problem with gb.gui, gb.gui.opengl, and gb.desktop.gnome (2)

Kende Krisztián nemh at ...2007...
Fri Nov 1 09:15:25 CET 2013

> Hi,
>
> In revision #5924, the IDE generates meta-packages for QT4 and GTK+
> support when a project uses the gb.gui component. There is no
> dependency on the non-existing gb.gui package anymore. Same thing for
> gb.gui.opengl.
>
> So, if the 'foo' project uses gb.gui, the packager will generate the
> three following packages:
> - 'foo', the full project will all its dependencies.
> - 'foo-qt4', a void package that depends on 'foo' and 'gb.qt4'.
> - 'foo-gtk', a void package that depends on 'foo' and 'gb.gtk'.
>
> If 'foo' uses gb.gui.opengl, the corresponding opengl dependencies
> will be added to the 'foo-qt4' and 'foo-gtk' packages.
>
> At the moment, only Debian/Ubuntu has been implemented.
>
> Can you test it and tell me if it works for you?
>
> I will add the conditional dependency foo-gtk | foo-qt4, but I want to
> check if it possible with RPM, Arch, and Slackware packages first.

Circular dependencies are not allowed. So if 'foo' depend on 'foo-gtk |
foo-qt4', the 'foo-gtk' and 'foo-qt4' are not depend on 'foo'. And that
would be good. Because 'foo' doesn't work without 'foo-gtk' or
'foo-qt4', but they are metapackages (that said, confusing to install
anything). The other problem, 'foo' application doesn't work on KDE
desktop with 'foo-gtk', and doesn't work on GNOME desktop with
'foo-qt4'. The selector component doesn't work well.

> P.S. I admire you and others making binary packages. Playing with
> debian packaging is like programming the Win32 API with the brainfuck
> language for me. It took me more than four hours to make these two
> metapackages without getting a cryptic error.

:-)