[Gambas-user] Using Gambas for Apache cgi

Demosthenes Koptsis demosthenesk at ...626...
Mon Sep 17 21:41:15 CEST 2012

Στις 17/9/2012 20:52, ο/η Tobias Boege έγραψε:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Long time ago I set up a Gambas application in my internal server for
>> cgi. I do remember there was some tweaking of Apache confs to tell it to
>> accept .gambas and .gbs as a cgi program, but I don't remember what it
>> was. Now I have tried to install this on another server, but of course
>> it wasn't as simple as just copying the binaries into cgi-bin.
>>
>> Can one of you guys point me to it? I already searched my apache config
>> files, but I didn't find where I have changed something.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Rolf
>>
> Hi Rolf,
>
> my answer is as always: Hans (you know him?) already did this and wrote a
> paper (in german). I don't mind (and he doesn't mind me) sending it along
> with everything else he felt to put in that tarball back then (Gambas2
> times). Since I last sent it to someone I actually tested it out and it
> indeed worked on our school server ;-)
>
> Apache configuration is not much of that paper, I hope you find it
> useful; any credit to Hans.
>
> Unfortunately, the tarball (even only the PDF xz-compressed) appears to
> be >512 KiB (must have been the reason I never really wanted to send it to
> the list) and so I'll send it to you via private mail.
>
> Benoit, may I finally send the whole archive to the list (read: Are you
> inclined to approve that ~1.5 MiB archive?)
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

Hi there,

see the main server how it configs a cgi-bin directory.
in mine for www is

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

a similar config must be in your virtual host for its cgi-bin directory

For more Apache configs see the official Apache docs.

After that you have to create a script in an text editor with this line

#!/usr/local/bin/gbs3

or wherever gbs3 is located at your system

this binary can run gambas scripts from console.

i used it to write a gambas console script as cgi but Benoit suggests to
use instead a binary gambas file but i cant figure out how to run a
test.gambas file as cgi.

see also this conversation
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29473177