[Gambas-user] Gambas Friendly OS

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Nov 6 23:26:28 CET 2012

Le 06/11/2012 22:14, John a écrit :
> For anyone who may be interested. A couple of us users over at White
> Island are attempting to make a Gambas friendly OS to show case what
> can be done with Gambas. It will be based off of Lubuntu 12.04 LTS
> and have the Gambas runtime installed along with apps/utils made with
> Gambas. It will be called “Orca” do to the fact that we do not own
> the Gambas name.

Glubuntu ? :-)

> The idea came about after watching the larger
> distros “sit” on the new Gambas releases, and the IDE and runtime not
> getting into users hands. Though I am new to programming, I found it
> frustrating to make apps that no one could run and walked away to
> another form of BASIC. I kept watching for the 3x to hit the
> repositories and when it did, I found that the new stable is at
> 3.3.3. In frustration I made the remark one day that what we needed
> was a GambasOS for the community that would always be up to date with
> the newest stable release of Gambas. Much to my surprise, users where
> really up for this idea and want it to happen. They make apps to but
> have no one to use them or give them to. One user is making a "Show
> Case" app that will allow users to download apps made only in Gambas,
> I think that is kinda cool. We are still talking if the Gambas IDE
> should be included in the iso or if Synaptic should just have the
> kendek PPA included with it. The goal is to help new Gambas
> programmers but to also get the iso into normal Linux users hands so
> that they can see what Gambas can do. I have butted heads in the past
> with small distro devs who will not use the Gambas runtime but will
> not hesitate to install an app written in Python......really? I my
> self like Python but it is not a good language for making GUI apps
> but the battle goes on. Might as well make GUI apps in Perl or
> Bash..... So in the end, if anyone is interested, you can find us at
> http://www.whiteislandsoftware.com With kind regards -John
> (konaexpress)

Good idea.

I think: maybe it would be cool then to do some sort of "Gambas
marketplace", a central repository where you can store Gambas applications.

I think some sort of Gambas sandboxing would be a good idea: i.e. warn
and/or allow when a gambas program use an extern function of a shared
library, open a file, use the network, and so on.

Not enough time at the moment to deal with that...

Benoît Minisini