[Gambas-user] Gambas Friendly OS

John konaexpress at ...178...
Tue Nov 6 22:14:22 CET 2012

For anyone who may be interested.
 A couple of us users over at White Island are attempting to make a Gambas friendly OS to show case what can be done with Gambas. It will be based off of Lubuntu 12.04 LTS and have the Gambas runtime installed along with apps/utils made with Gambas. It will be called “Orca” do to the fact that we do not own the Gambas name.
 The idea came about after watching the larger distros “sit” on the new Gambas releases, and the IDE and runtime not getting into users hands. Though I am new to programming, I found it frustrating to make apps that no one could run and walked away to another form of BASIC. I kept watching for the 3x to hit the repositories and when it did, I found that the new stable is at 3.3.3.
 In frustration I made the remark one day that what we needed was a GambasOS for the community that would always be up to date with the newest stable release of Gambas. Much to my surprise, users where really up for this idea and want it to happen. They make apps to but have no one to use them or give them to. One user is making a "Show Case" app that will allow users to download apps made only in Gambas, I think that is kinda cool.
 We are still talking if the Gambas IDE should be included in the iso or if Synaptic should just have the kendek PPA included with it. The goal is to help new Gambas programmers but to also get the iso into normal Linux users hands so that they can see what Gambas can do. I have butted heads in the past with small distro devs who will not use the Gambas runtime but will not hesitate to install an app written in Python......really? I my self like Python but it is not a good language for making GUI apps but the battle goes on. Might as well make GUI apps in Perl or Bash.....
 So in the end, if anyone is interested, you can find us at http://www.whiteislandsoftware.com
 With kind regards -John (konaexpress)