[Gambas-user] How to make Class file to Library for use in other Gambas applications

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Thu Feb 23 02:18:27 CET 2012

On wo, 2012-02-22 at 19:34 +0100, Willy Raets wrote:
> > Now back to Gambas 2, see if what Bruce explained can be done in real
> > life :-) Bit more work the Gambas 2 way, doing a component. And I see
> > some distribution problems there as well. How to install such a library
> > along with your app that needs the libary?

Okay making my component in Gambas 2 worked.
Have it at my use in all Gambas 2 projects, really nice.

Here is the next problem I encounter.
How to distribute the component together with the application that uses
it.

1. Do I make a package for the component separate from the application
and will the package installer recognise it as a component and do the
right thing? (I guess not, but hey..you never know...)?

2. Do I simply make a package for the application and the component will
be included and installed properly?

3. Or do I need to provide a source archive and do people need to
install IDE to make the component local themselves (something not really
handy when making applications for not programming audience)?

4. Or is there another way?

I can see how Gambas 3 takes care of this with the library in the
project folder, that just gets installed with the application. Way
easier and I would love to port my application to Gambas 3.

This application is still in Gambas 2 for easy Distribution reasons
only. Gambas 3 missing in repos makes distributing Gambas 3 applications
virtually impossible for the moment. Can't expect people to compile
their own version just for the sake of running my application...
As soon as the major distros have it available in their software repos
I'm leaving Gambas 2. Can't wait...