[Gambas-user] Gambas on Mac OS X/MacPorts

Patrik Karlsson pata.karlsson at ...626...
Thu Aug 9 17:04:49 CEST 2012

2012/8/7 François Gallo <basic.gambas at ...626...>

> Gambas is not in the MacPorts tree and i think it will be never because
> the qt4-x11 port doesn't work. Indeed, this one isn't up to date. While
> macports will not
> provide an update to this port, Gambas cannot go into the macports tree.
> To make Gambas i use both MacPorts and Fink. Although i only use Fink to
> get
> a 11 version of Qt.
>
> Currently, Gambas 3 compiles on OS X 10.8.
> Right now, i see with Benoit to debug it at runtime.
> The Gambas compiler crashes on some language instructions. Why? I don't
> know.
> Once Benoit will fix it, i could declare officially Gambas ported on OS X.
> (i hope at less…)
>
> I'm the main contributor who (try to) port Gambas on others systems than
> Linux.
> If you have some questions about Gambas's ports, contact me.
>

> > How far has the project come?
> > Is there some kind of a time line?
> > How can I help?
>
> If you know good enough the OS X system, maybe yes i think you can help
> for Gambas.
>

> > I guess my knowledge is limited to compile, install and test it.
>
> Logically, the main things that you must know is how install MacPorts and
> Fink distributions.
> Then, install the packages needed to compile Gambas.
>
> That's all you need to do :) .
> When i wrote "add support for macports distribution" in change log, i
> added path to a basic installation
> of MacPorts so that any people can compile directly Gambas.
>
> However don't forget to add in your .profile file environment variables
> needed to that.
> Fink and MacPorts adds automatically some variables but not all.
>
> You can already download svn source code of Gambas and try to compile it.
> Normally, you don't meet difficult to compile it.
>
> Do you use OS X 10.8 too?
>
> François
>
> Yes, I'm on 10.8 too but I dont know enough about the system to provide
any help on that.
I have been using macports for years and fink a month or so a while back.
I dont think I will try to install Gambas on OS X as long as Gambas
application will not be easily run on the Mac for the regular user.

Hopefully they will fix the qt4-x11 port so we can get a smooth
installation procedure.

Anyway, thanks for the effort so far!

/patrik