[Gambas-user] Gambas on Mac OS X/MacPorts

François Gallo basic.gambas at ...626...
Tue Aug 7 13:35:08 CEST 2012

Le 7 août 2012 à 13:00, Patrik Karlsson <pata.karlsson at ...626...> a écrit :

> I have read about getting Gambas running on OS X and while browsing the svn
> log of Gambas I found the lines below.
>
> * NEW: Add support for the MacPorts distribution.
> * NEW: it is now available for Mac OS X 10.8
> * BUG: Fix detection of X11 for the control DrawingArea on Mac OS X 10.8.
> * BUG: Fix compilation on Mac OS X 10.8
> * BUG: Correctly detect architecture on MacOSX.
> * BUG: Some files were incorrectly modified by Mac OS X changes.
> * BUG: Fix compilation on Mac OS X and Linux.
> * NEW: Search include and library files in /opt/local for Mac OS X.
> * NEW: Search include and library files in /opt/local for Mac OS X. But it
> * NEW: Make the component compile on Mac OS X with the qt4-mac port. The
> * BUG: Use -fnested-functions only on Mac OS X.
> * BUG: Make the "main" directory compile on Mac OS X.
>  that things work better on MacOSX.
> * NEW: Mac OS X is a FreeBSD.
>
> Since I'm on the Mac most of the time this is very interesting.
> I could not find Gambas in MacPorts so I guess it is not ready yet.

Gambas is not in the MacPorts tree and i think it will be never because
the qt4-x11 port doesn't work. Indeed, this one isn't up to date. While macports will not
provide an update to this port, Gambas cannot go into the macports tree.
To make Gambas i use both MacPorts and Fink. Although i only use Fink to get
a 11 version of Qt.

Currently, Gambas 3 compiles on OS X 10.8.
Right now, i see with Benoit to debug it at runtime.
The Gambas compiler crashes on some language instructions. Why? I don't know.
Once Benoit will fix it, i could declare officially Gambas ported on OS X. (i hope at less…)

I'm the main contributor who (try to) port Gambas on others systems than Linux.
If you have some questions about Gambas's ports, contact me.

> How far has the project come?
> Is there some kind of a time line?
> How can I help?

If you know good enough the OS X system, maybe yes i think you can help for Gambas.

> I guess my knowledge is limited to compile, install and test it.

Logically, the main things that you must know is how install MacPorts and Fink distributions.
Then, install the packages needed to compile Gambas.

That's all you need to do :) .
When i wrote "add support for macports distribution" in change log, i added path to a basic installation
of MacPorts so that any people can compile directly Gambas.

However don't forget to add in your .profile file environment variables needed to that.
Fink and MacPorts adds automatically some variables but not all.

You can already download svn source code of Gambas and try to compile it.
Normally, you don't meet difficult to compile it.

Do you use OS X 10.8 too?

François