[Gambas-user] Adding values to fields in SQLite table??

rocko sunblaster5 at ...626...
Tue Aug 7 21:18:43 CEST 2012

Having a bit of trouble with trying to get Ganbas to add a value to a
field in a table.

I have a sqlite DB with a table named 'inventory' with field names like:
'name', 'start_date', 'end_date' and so on.

I'm trying to add values to the fields using a interface, I have a text
box to add a name to the 'name' field in the inventory table.

But I am not having any success.
I'm using Gambas version 2.21 as that is in my repo and been following
the older book "A beginners Giude to Gambas" which i think uses version
1.9 as a basis.

Here is my code for the 'connect' button:

PUBLIC SUB btnConnect_Click()

  DIM $hConn AS NEW Connection

  TRY $hConn.CLOSE

  WITH $hConn
    .Type = "sqlite"
    .Host = "/home/rocko/DataBases"
    .Name = "plant_trax"
  END WITH

  TRY $hConn.Open
  IF ERROR THEN PRINT "Database cannot be opened. Error = ", Error.Text

  $hConn.Close
 END

This works as far as I can tell as I don't get the error.

The offending code i believe is in the btnAdd_CLICK():

PUBLIC SUB btnAdd_Click()

  DIM $hConn AS NEW Connection
  DIM rTable AS Result

  $hConn.Open

  TRY $hConn.Open
  IF ERROR THEN PRINT "Database cannot be opened. Error = ", Error.Text

  INC Application.Busy

  $hConn.Begin
  rTable = "Inventory"
  rTable!name = txtName.Text
  rTable.Update

  $hConn.Commit

FINALLY
  DEC Application.Busy
  $hConn.Close

END

I was getting "Database cannot be opened. Error =Driver name missing"
So I added an "$hconn.Open".
But now the app just hangs when I click the add new btn

The database doesn't get updated.

Forgive me but I'm still learning Gambas and basic.

I had compiled a newer version of Gambas from the SVN but that was on
another laptop that got stolen last week and I just installed what ever
was in my repo (Crucnhbang) on my replacement, but I don't think thats
my problem.