[Gambas-user] Translation interface errors

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Tue Apr 17 22:01:39 CEST 2012

> The current export is the standard GNU translation file format. What
> other format do you suggest?

Hi Benoît,

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the format is wrong or the solution
needs to be found Gambas.

It is just not suited to let translators do their translations in as
mistakes are very easily made, a quote is forgotten of those kind of
things and translators don't always understand the format and how to
correctly place it all.
And when done on a Windows machine the files need to be tripled checked
before importing, because of Windows adding stuff. So in all is is a
painfully long job this way.

I don't think Gambas IDE is the place where a solution needs to be found
as for translations we need to think from the point of view of the
translator and for some platform independent solution, that doesn't have
to be part of Gambas itself, but provides support to Gambas developers
that want to go international with their application. Such a platform
could even be used for the internationalisation of Gambas itself.

But the .po file would be the central point of transfer and I'm okay
with its format and understand how it works.

In another post I wrote a suggestion, but that would be more something
of a Gambas translators web platform kind of a solution thing I suppose.

Could something like that be set up using Gambas, as I know you are
doing webhosting using Gambas. I have no clue where to start and if a
provider would support it and so on.

Willy