[Gambas-user] Translation interface errors

M. Cs. mohareve at ...626...
Tue Apr 17 21:18:38 CEST 2012

It is sometimes hardly viable: I have a Russian translator who doesn't
use Linux at all, but likes my project and helps me. The German
translation is also being done with a Windows user person. So when I
have 30-40 new strings/release multiplied by number of languages...
I think Gambas needs some more efficient tool. Think about
modifications, please! I don't know how it works under the hood, and I
also don't understand why do we need the first line of records like:

#: Archs.class:543 WhereIsIt.class:96
msgid "Inserting the records into database..."
msgstr "Wprowadzanie rekordów do bazy danych..."

Probably for getting ideas where this string belongs to. I'm not very
good in Gambas, but an expert in data mining, so I don't think there
could not be a better way of storing the translations. Probably it
works now as:
1. Get the sysyem language
2. Read in the file .po with that language and fill in the strings on
the GUI(the first line of the translation's record.
This is all great, but the translation's interpreter doesn't
recognizes its own product. Namely: I use the .po files exported with
Gambas IDE. Then these files are slightly modified (nothing deleted,
but rather added characters into empty strings), and afterwards the
same IDE won't recognize the same file. It has to be a bug. So I don't
think the real solution would be sticking to the Gambas IDE. Is that
part of IDE written in Gambas? Maybe I would take a look why does it
make such errors.

Csaba