[Gambas-user] Translation interface errors

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Apr 17 21:57:14 CEST 2012

Le 17/04/2012 21:18, M. Cs. a écrit :
> It is sometimes hardly viable: I have a Russian translator who doesn't
> use Linux at all, but likes my project and helps me. The German
> translation is also being done with a Windows user person. So when I
> have 30-40 new strings/release multiplied by number of languages...
> I think Gambas needs some more efficient tool. Think about
> modifications, please! I don't know how it works under the hood, and I
> also don't understand why do we need the first line of records like:
>
> #: Archs.class:543 WhereIsIt.class:96
> msgid "Inserting the records into database..."
> msgstr "Wprowadzanie rekordów do bazy danych..."
>

> Probably for getting ideas where this string belongs to. I'm not very
> good in Gambas, but an expert in data mining, so I don't think there
> could not be a better way of storing the translations. Probably it
> works now as:
> 1. Get the sysyem language
> 2. Read in the file .po with that language and fill in the strings on
> the GUI(the first line of the translation's record.
> This is all great, but the translation's interpreter doesn't
> recognizes its own product. Namely: I use the .po files exported with
> Gambas IDE. Then these files are slightly modified (nothing deleted,
> but rather added characters into empty strings), and afterwards the
> same IDE won't recognize the same file. It has to be a bug. So I don't
> think the real solution would be sticking to the Gambas IDE. Is that
> part of IDE written in Gambas? Maybe I would take a look why does it
> make such errors.
>
> Csaba

The Gambas IDE just uses the standard GNU translation system. All you
are talking about is a GNU thing, not a Gambas one.

If you want to know the details, it's there:

	http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html

I don't know what you are modifying in the *.po file that prevents it
from working afterwards. Maybe if you give some details I could see.

The more efficient tool needed by Gambas exists. This is the IDE
translation window, that one should use to translate a project.

A lot of people have already translated the Gambas IDE and just sent me
the *.po file. AFAIK, I didn't have any problem when importing them. If
I remember, some of the *.po files were done with the IDE, and some were
edited manually.

Benoît Minisini