[Gambas-user] Gambas app calling a PERL Script which calls a program (rtmpdump)

John Rose john.aaron.rose at ...1601...
Fri Sep 2 08:43:46 CEST 2011

Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I've obviously expressed my problem badly, so
I'll try again. Please do not take my explanation below as patronising:
I'm just trying to ensure that enough detail is given to enable problem
resolution.

When a particular button (named Record) is clicked within the
application it calls a routine containing a statement of the form:
EXEC ["get_iplayer", "--force", "--type=" & sType] TO sOutput
where sType & sOutput are both strings with sType having the value "TV".
This is equivalent to "get_iplayer --force --type="TV" run in a Gnome
Terminal except that the output to StdOut is placed in sOutput. This
command works fine in a Gnome Terminal or even with >Output.txt keyed in
at the end of the command so that the output goes to a file Output.txt.

get_iplayer is a very complex PERL script which I do NOT want to amend.
get_iplayer involves calling rtmpdump. rtmpdump can be executed in a
Gnome Terminal. I do not even know what language rtmpdump is written in.

As I previously said, the Gambas app hangs on the EXEC statement. And I
think that it's due to the app executing get_iplayer which calls
rtmpdump. I wonder if there's a problem with this in Gambas or if it's
due to some other reason? This app used to work until a month ago. I'm
using Gambas version 2.22 from a Ubuntu ppa (on Launchpad) created by
madnessmike. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 fully up to date.

John
+44 1902 331266
+44 7894 211434