[Gambas-user] Gambas app calling a PERL Script which calls a program (rtmpdump)

Ian Haywood ihaywood at ...1979...
Fri Sep 2 09:16:04 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM, John Rose
<john.aaron.rose at ...1601...> wrote:
> get_iplayer is a very complex PERL script which I do NOT want to amend.
> get_iplayer involves calling rtmpdump. rtmpdump can be executed in a
> Gnome Terminal. I do not even know what language rtmpdump is written in.
I wonder if the script is expecting user input such as a password, this
would cause it to freeze from within gambas as no input will ever come
Another possiblity is it produces heaps and heaps of output that
can't fit into the sOutput buffer, again programme becomes blocked
because it can't write.

Do you need sOutput? what happens if you run without this, just a plain EXEC?
In this case you might see errors or something come up in the gambas
terminal window which goves you a clue as to what's going on.

the other thing to do (which you may have already done of course) is
to run the exact command that gambas EXEC does in a gnome terminal, in
the same current directory as your gambas programme would be in, and
see what happens.

Ian