[Gambas-user] Menu editor - not a bug but annoying

Kadaitcha Man nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626...
Sat Nov 28 10:33:59 CET 2009

2009/11/28 Doriano Blengino <doriano.blengino at ...1909...>:

> Dear Kadaitcha

Oh, not that again. Some troll stole my email address and spread it
all over the planet. You have me mistaken with someone else.

> keep in mind that there is a lot of people out there
> which do not exactly understand what a keyboard is.

You're not wrong. I'm having that very argument with some upstart
developers in my office. They have pushed a .NET GUI application into
production, which is used by highly skilled data-entry keyboard
operators. There is complete chaos, and a lot of very upset operators.
productivity went down from 100 forms filled in per day to an average
of 12 per day per operator.

> But the majority of people also believes to be a computer guru, and if
> you say "I think this is a mistake" they will reply "it's you who is
> wrong, because things have always been done this way".

I'll agree with you if you can come up with a better way of deciding
when to close the window. Mind reading, perhaps? Ok, it would be best
not to close the menu window on a default keystroke.

> Being used to delphi, the first time I've seen the VB menu editor I
> laughed: it was crap compared to delphi's one.

How do you think I felt when I saw it, being a COBOL and FORTRAN
programmer from the 1970's?

:)

> When I discovered gambas,
> I saw the same menu editor. But I didn't laugh anymore; there are many
> things I would love to change but, on the other hand, gambas has an
> unbeated productivity in the linux desktop. What you are saying is right
> - everyone would benefit from this change, but not everyone understands it.

Gambas is excellent. It takes some getting used to and the
documentation really needs a lot of work. When I've finally got my
project beyond the "proof of concept" stage I will be donating my time
to fixing it.