[Gambas-user] Gambas as firefox plugin !!!

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Nov 24 02:33:58 CET 2009

On Monday 23 November 2009 05:06 pm, nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626... wrote:
> My opinion is that it is a terrible idea. For starters, how do you plan
>  to install the runtime libraries, using sudo apt-get or distribute the
>  libraries as as part of the plugin? And once you've decided that, how
>  many hours will users on slow connections have to wait while umpteen
>  megabytes of support libraries are downloaded and installed?

Gambas as a plugin would have to include the barest minimum of components
(maybe just SDL, some embeddable database, etc., and the Gambas-based
components that require only those) and those components would have to all
be based on libraries that can be statically linked, like all the other
Netscape-style plugins out there.  But having such a limited subset of
components would keep the plugin pretty small in modern terms, certainly
far smaller than Java, for example.

And as with Java, there would have to be a mechanism for downloading other
software components, whether at each runtime or cached on the disk.

> > If there is a Gambas web browser plugin then the Gambas will be the
> > first Basic language that can be run everywhere due to browser
> > (firefox) and will have not limited only to Linux.
> Really? So you plan to run a Google-sized freenx server farm for Windows
> users then?

Gambas has been built successfully under Windows, though getting gb.sdl and
friends to work would be left as an exercise for.... well, someone who has
a Windows machine, for starters.  Not most people here.  Still, that is
possible.

(Original poster wrote:)
> > Also this means that programmers can write easy known Basic
> > applications that can be run in any hardware that runs a browser (any
> > device from cell phone to pc).

This is a misconception: most cell phone browsers do not support Netscape-
style plugins, and those that do (like the Palm Pre's) don't support
standard x86 Netscape-style plugins.

While I disagree with Mr. Nameless Angry Guy about the reasons why this
isn't a sound idea, I do agree that it probably won't work too well.

1. This method of popularizing a language has been tried before with Tcl
and Perl (probably others too, but those are the ones I know).  I think
that in both cases, it did more damage to the language's reputation than
good, because of the impression it gives of "me too".

2. The functionality that would have to be removed to make it self-
contained and small would take away a lot of its selling points.

3. Gambas hasn't been written with sandboxing or any other particular
security concerns in mind.  You need that in a language implemented as a
browser plugin.

4. Plugins to add browser functionality are on their way out thanks to
HTML5 and greater attention paid to standards by every vendor except
Microsoft.  In another year or two, even Flash will be regarded as a legacy
technology as more people start running browsers with native video support.

That said, I did start playing around with trying to hack the Gambas
interpreter into a Palm Pre WebOS-compatible ARM Netscape plugin, since
plugins are literally the only way to put non-Javascript code in your WebOS
application.  Didn't get very far (got hung up on the same ARM
crosscompilation issue as someone else who recently posted, before even
making any code changes).  But I'm still looking at doing that, as well as
trying to get a minimal Gambas/gb.sdl Nintendo DS port going which would be
tougher, with little to no POSIX compatibility available.

Rob