[Gambas-user] Gambas as firefox plugin !!!

nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626... nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626...
Mon Nov 23 23:06:00 CET 2009

Demosthenes Koptsis wrote:
> Hi i have an idea but u will tell me if it is good or not.
>
> I saw the latest Quake game, named quake live
> http://www.quakelive.com/
>
> The game is based on a firefox plugin and i wonder if Gambas
> applications can be run in a Gambas firefox plugin?
>
> Is this idea good?

My opinion is that it is a terrible idea. For starters, how do you plan to
install the runtime libraries, using sudo apt-get or distribute the
libraries as as part of the plugin? And once you've decided that, how many
hours will users on slow connections have to wait while umpteen megabytes of
support libraries are downloaded and installed?

> If there is a Gambas web browser plugin then the Gambas will be the
> first Basic language that can be run everywhere due to browser
> (firefox) and will have not limited only to Linux.

Really? So you plan to run a Google-sized freenx server farm for Windows
users then?

> Also this means that programmers can write easy known Basic
> applications that can be run in any hardware that runs a browser (any
> device from cell phone to pc).
>
> The hard work is to create such a Gambas (Basic) plugin for browsers.

No. The hard work is going to be convincing you that it simply is not going
to work. At all.

> So tell is it a good idea?

No, it is not a good idea.

> Is it possible something like that?