[Gambas-user] Broken dependencies in Ubuntu 8.04 packages

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Jan 29 15:38:16 CET 2009

On jeudi 29 janvier 2009, Rob wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2009 07:41, Ron_1st wrote:
> > Requires or depends, thats the question.
>
> When speaking in terms of package managers, there's no practical
> difference.
>
> > however for package xdg-utils
> >   suggested: desktop-file-utils/kdelibs/konqueror/lib.../menu
> >   recommended: file/iceweasel or wwww-browser/mime-support/x11-...
> > No required or dependency package
> > At my box not all suggested are installed.
> > xdg-utlis should be safe to install without X/KDE/Gnome as I understand
> > an no problem for gambas-runtime to requires it.
>
> Found my problem there.  I was using aptitude instead of apt-get when I
> tried to install xdg-utils.  I thought aptitude was just a newer version
> of apt-get with some extra info, but apparently it does things like
> treating recommended packages as mandatory unless you use -R.  Now I'll
> know better.... but it still seems to me like xdg-utils should be a
> recommended package for gambas2-runtime and not a dependency.
>
> Rob

xdg-utils are just shell scripts. These scripts detect the current desktop
environment when they are run, and execute desktop-specific commands
according to what they detected.

So making them depends on X11 or any desktop environment is a mistake IMHO.

--
Benoit Minisini