[Gambas-user] Broken dependencies in Ubuntu 8.04 packages

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu Jan 29 15:10:23 CET 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009 07:41, Ron_1st wrote:
> Requires or depends, thats the question.

When speaking in terms of package managers, there's no practical
difference.

> however for package xdg-utils
>   suggested: desktop-file-utils/kdelibs/konqueror/lib.../menu
>   recommended: file/iceweasel or wwww-browser/mime-support/x11-...
> No required or dependency package
> At my box not all suggested are installed.
> xdg-utlis should be safe to install without X/KDE/Gnome as I understand
> an no problem for gambas-runtime to requires it.

Found my problem there.  I was using aptitude instead of apt-get when I
tried to install xdg-utils.  I thought aptitude was just a newer version
of apt-get with some extra info, but apparently it does things like
treating recommended packages as mandatory unless you use -R.  Now I'll
know better.... but it still seems to me like xdg-utils should be a
recommended package for gambas2-runtime and not a dependency.

Rob