[Gambas-user] Broken dependencies in Ubuntu 8.04 packages

Ron_1st ronstk at ...239...
Thu Jan 29 13:41:28 CET 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009, Rob wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 20:09, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > As for xdg-utils, gambas2-runtime uses it to install gambas mime files.
>
> Is it really required?  Because if so, then it's no longer possible to
> install Gambas on a command-line only machine since xdg-utils requires an
> X server, Konqueror, Firefox, GNOME, etc., and it's not going to be viable
> as a web scripting language.
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Requires or depends, thats the question.

There are two parts for the mime function,
a) to use for _file_ to recognize filetype
   -X server, Konqueror, Firefox, GNOME, etc. are no need.

b) for usage by desktop env to know wich program must
   be used to do someting usefull insde the desktop env.
   -It is not a real pain, a CLI box does not use it.

I just look in my packet manager adept kubuntu 8.04

gambas-runtime requires xdg-utils so  that part you are right

however for package xdg-utils
  suggested: desktop-file-utils/kdelibs/konqueror/lib.../menu
  recommended: file/iceweasel or wwww-browser/mime-support/x11-...
No required or dependency package
At my box not all suggested are installed.

xdg-utlis should be safe to install without X/KDE/Gnome as I understand
an no problem for gambas-runtime to requires it.

Best regards,

Ron_1st