[Gambas-user] Programming beginner: first program won't run?

Sun Apr 19 19:37:44 CEST 2009

phohammer ha scritto:
> Ok, I tried copying every thing over to my project from the "Object" example.
> I copied every single
> thing from the project tree. And I deleted all of my stuff from my project,
> essentially making an "Object" project
> of my own that I could edit. It still wouldn't run.
>
> I tried running the IDE from a terminal and there was no output into the
> terminal whether the project ran (with
> "Object") or it didn't (with mine).
>
> On the having qt on my system, I am not too sure but here is what I have
> installed that is qt related:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p23124849/qt.png
> qt.png .
> I'm not sure how that could be a problem since I have seen a project run
> successfully on my system (the "Object" example.)
>
> I have a question here though, maybe this is my problem. What project type
> should I be using ( http://www.nabble.com/file/p23124849/whichtype.png
> whichtype.png )?
>  I've been using the "Graphical Application" thus far.

I assume you have QT installed, because gambas would'nt work without.
Graphical application should be ok.
No compilation errors - ok.
Next, try to understand, when you press GO (F5?), if the program really
runs or not. While the program "seems" to run, you can confirm by using
a terminal and the ps(1) command: on my system turns out:

 9612 ?        S      0:02 gbr2 /usr/bin/gambas2
 9619 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/gbx2 -g -f
/root/programmi/gambas/prove/Parted --

You see "gbr2 ...gambas2", which is the IDE, and "gbx2 ...Parted" which
is the program.
If your program does'nt show, then it is not running - try to execute it
step by step to see if terminates instead of opening a window and
entering the idle loop.
If it runs, look in the taskbar, where you see open
windows/applications. If a button is there, then your program has an
open window somewhere outside the desktop (window manager issue). You
can try to pull it inside a desktop by using the contestual menu.

If the program runs, but no window is shown, check with "lsof -p
<your_program_pid>"; on my system, at the end, it shows:

gbx2    9619 root   21r   REG       3,70   14625  35686
/usr/lib/gambas2/gb.qt.gambas
gbx2    9619 root   22r   REG       3,70 1033214  35701
/usr/lib/gambas2/gb.form.gambas

showing the the program actually uses QT (and many more information).
There other tools to see if your program really opened a window, but
things get more complicated... it is easier to see what is wrong in the
source.

Anyway, make a source tarball (Project->Create->Source package -- or
something like that) and send the .tar.gz; this will let other users on
this list to examine your project to find something you missed.

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."