[Gambas-user] Gambas debugger and RAISE

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Sep 23 23:30:39 CEST 2008

On mardi 23 septembre 2008, Kari Laine wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Benoit Minisini <
>
> gambas at ...1...> wrote:
> > On mardi 23 septembre 2008, Kari Laine wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to understand gb.form and event-handling is still bit
> > > mystery to me. I have a question when single stepping through the
> > > source code the debugger doesn't seem to step into raised functions. Is
> > > it so or don't I understand something? Now actually trying it some more
> > > it seems to step into them sometimes and sometimes not. Could someone
> > > explain the logic in it - please ?
> > >
> > > Best Regards
> > > Kari Laine
> >
> > Please be less vague, otherwise I can't help!
> >
> > Thanks Benoit getting back.
>
> I try again. As I am not very good with Gambas events yet I find it
> sometimes difficult to follow where execution of code jumps when event is
> raised. I was hoping that stepping with Gambas debugger would have revealed
> that. It seems not to be the case - or quite probably I am doing something
> wrong.
>
> So the idea was to use debugger to see where executions jumps for example
> when there is RAISE Change  .
>
> At the moment I am stuck with following code in FileChooser.class in
> gb.form .
>
> PUBLIC SUB frmChooser_Change()
>
>   RAISE Change
>
> END
>
> I am not able to figure out what <object>_Change sub is called at that. If
> you could tell me that I could be those light pulp goes on situations for
> me.

The FileChooser is the event observer of the frmChooser object. When
frmChooser raises its "Change" event, it is catched by frmChooser_Change().
Then the "Change" event of FileChooser is raised, and this event will be
catched by a possible "xxxx_Change()" event handler in the parent object of
FileChooser.

> Also I am not totally sure what { } means like {Select}. Is it that you can
> use reserved word as your own sub/func/var names?

{...} tells the compiler that a symbol is an identifier, and must not be
interpreted as a reserved keyword.

It's funny, because I took this syntax from Visual Basic, and that question
comes frequently. :-)

Benoit Minisini