[Gambas-user] Gambas as language for web development

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed May 14 22:06:53 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 15:46, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> I continue on finding that these techniques are mainly hacks
> wasting resources.

Maybe so, but those hacks are in extremely high demand right now.  CGI
is fine, but users don't want the entire page to reload when they
change their selection in a listbox that other form controls depend
on.  Besides, even CGI itself is a hack, considering that HTTP was
originally designed to just serve up static pages and provide minimal
searching.  It's just a hack that's 8 or 9 years older.

And keeping a socket open may be excessive, and I feel totally
recreating the desktop Gambas experience would probably result in a
lot of bad applications written by people who don't understand the
web, but just sending a list of values to populate an HTML select is
a lot less data than redrawing the entire page.  Same with updating a
stock ticker or chat window.  That's the sort of thing these
techniques were really meant to do.

Rob