[Gambas-user] Gambas as language for web development

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed May 14 21:01:25 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 14:40, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Reacting to an event will need to display the page entirely again
> (it is an HTTP request followed by its answer), unless we use
> JavaScript and the DOM to update the web page. It is not
> necessarily a good idea, even if sophisticated applications like
> Google Docs need that.

I know I'm biased because I've done more AJAX stuff than you have, but
I really think redrawing the whole screen after each update would be
intolerable.  Firefox 3 betas are already a lot faster at Javascript
than Firefox 2 and previous, though I don't know if the other
browsers are making similar speed improvements.

> Really, that task is big and not evident: how to make something
> easy without making a kitchen sink?

Personally, I would use some toolkit like dojo, just as you used
existing GUI toolkits like qt and gtk rather than reinventing the
wheel for Gambas.  (I'm not suggesting dojo specifically, but I think
it's an example of a toolkit that provides almost everything we would
need.)

> All that is fully open to talk of course. I won't make anything
> now, I don't have the time. :-)

I'm still waiting for more of my time to free up, as well.

Rob