[Gambas-user] Interpreter too old: Form1

jbskaggs jbskaggs at ...1871...
Sat Mar 29 21:00:34 CET 2008

To get this to work I had to go and install gambas2.4.1 onto the new machine-
then my executable and installation worked.

I dont want sound snippy- but what is the purpose of the installation
package if you have to install the entire gambas to a new machine?
Shouldn't the installation package include all the runtime files and
interpretor needed?  I thought that was the purpose of a installer package?

Seriously installing a program should not be this hard, the majority of
computer users I know are less knowledgable than me and there is no way they
would ever go thru fourteen hours of frustration to get a single app
installed.

There needs to be a better way of getting newbs (like myself up to speed)-
most of the examples assume the new user knows how to do things.  In the faq
under compilation libraries required:  Why can't there be links to a package
combatible with installer? That would install all these libraries?

Seriously the number one reason why Windows maintains it's strangle on
linux- is linux is hard to setup.  Most people come home from work and they
want to install a prog and run it- without hours and hours of searching
forums and faq's to learn how to install a library for something that should
be included in the program.  I mean if you get home at six and want to be in
bed by eleven. You eat dinner then that gives you maybe two or three hours
of time to use for whatever, and if that whole time is spent trying to get a
prog to work creates deep frustration and eventually they quit.

Gambas sells itself as being the easiest and fastest way to build
applications for Linux.  And it is- if you know linux.  For a new user used
to gui environments, one click installations, and easy yes and no questions
it is frustrating and daunting.  The programs I write are geared towards
non-techs, I know they will not work through hours of sys configs and
dependency problems.

It is not Gambas's or it's creator's fault, linux as a whole is this way. It
is tech friendly, but not intuituve friendly.

I need in open plain English a way to distribute my programs for the non
technical end user.

IN my opinion if you are installing a program it should check for a
dependency and if it is not there, then the program should recurse outwards
find the dependency download and install it, for each part of an
application.  So that the end user can easily install their software.

My vent is over.  I am sorry but I had some frustration to burn off.  Gambas
is great and immensly impressive to me.  I know the years that went in to
it, and I am not trying to cheapen the labor and dedication the people put
into it.  Gambas and dist's like Ubuntu are getting big enough the majority
of users from here out will be technically ignorant of linux and
programming.  SO I am trying to voice from the newb's point of view, what
damages an otherwise wonderful experience.

JB Skaggs