[Gambas-user] Interpreter too old: Form1

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Mar 29 22:05:27 CET 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008 16:00, jbskaggs wrote:
> I dont want sound snippy- but what is the purpose of the
> installation package if you have to install the entire gambas to a
> new machine? Shouldn't the installation package include all the

If the packages are made correctly, they will have the necessary
version of Gambas as a dependency, and any modern Linux will
automatically install it.  You as an application developer need to be
aware of which versions of your chosen language are available to the
most users, and target that version.  I'm only just starting to
deploy Gambas 2 applications now myself, and I've been writing in
Gambas for my clients since about version 0.70.

Now, if you're generating packages directly from Gambas 2, and the
version of Gambas they require is too old, that's a bug with the
Gambas package generator.

> runtime files and interpretor needed?  I thought that was the
> purpose of a installer package?

Well, no, that's the purpose of a Windows installer package, which is
why they have that thing called "DLL hell".  Every program comes with
its own copies of dependencies, and sometimes a newer one is
overwritten with an older one with the same name, or a newer one
installed with one program breaks an older program.

If your program needs a newer version of Gambas than Ubuntu provides,
you should either make your own repository containing your programs'
dependencies, or have your users add Daniel's Gambas repository at
http://azores.linex.org/gambas-other to their list of sources.

I agree that Linux as a desktop OS needs a unified packaging scheme,
but egos (both personal and corporate) are far too strong to allow
the different distros to agree on one.  But Ubuntu's popularity
simplifies things the way Red Hat's once did before they abandoned
the desktop market.  So personally I would just target Ubuntu plus
whatever is your personal choice (mine is Mandriva but I have one
Ubuntu server.)

There is a "Smart" package manager ( http://labix.org/smart ) that
works on most major distributions and claims to support packages of
different kinds, and was meant to be the lingua franca we've all been
waiting for.  But none of the distributions has adopted it that I
know of, making it just an extra step in getting your software on the
machines of non-technical users.

> I need in open plain English a way to distribute my programs for
> the non technical end user.

Maybe you should look into "klik", which is a "single-click all
dependencies included and installed into your home directory on any
distro" packaging system, but I don't know if it's still being
developed.  At one point, Gambas had been added to klik, but I don't
know if it's possible to deploy Gambas applications that way or if
the klik-able version has been kept up to date.

I also don't know how well it works, because I've never tried it, just
read good reviews and complaints about it.  Mandriva's packaging
system works fine for me, but that's largely because I've been
building my own packages for it for about 8 years.

Rob