[Gambas-user] Gambas has competition now

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Mar 18 17:42:37 CET 2008

On mardi 18 mars 2008, Rob wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 March 2008 11:56, Leonardo Miliani wrote:
> > If you use Linux I assume that you're looking for an opensource
> > system and want to use free languages. But if you have to use a
> > non-free environment (.Net is Microsoft patent) you could use
> > Windows, don't you?
>
> I agree with you, and it's upsetting that so many distributions carry
> Mono in their default repositories while relegating other
> patent-encumbered technologies like mp3 or DVD playback to "non-free"
> status and making it a pain for regular users to find them.

I think this is mainly because of the Mono applications: Beagle, TomBoy, and
F-Spot. Even on Mandriva, if I install KDE, I manually remove Mono to prevent
Beagle from indexing of my directories. :-)

> But .NET has gained a lot of popularity with programmers, and many of
> them don't understand what "patent-encumbered" even means.  Those are
> the people who are going to see MonoDevelop as an alternative to
> Gambas (if they even hear of Gambas at all, because the news sites
> seem a lot more willing to cover Mono than Gambas.)
>
> Rob

Maybe people should do desktop applications with Gambas, and then maybe they
will be integrated in the main desktop environments, like the above ones.

--
Benoit Minisini