[Gambas-user] Gambas has competition now

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Mar 18 17:25:40 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 11:56, Leonardo Miliani wrote:
> If you use Linux I assume that you're looking for an opensource
> system and want to use free languages. But if you have to use a
> non-free environment (.Net is Microsoft patent) you could use
> Windows, don't you?

I agree with you, and it's upsetting that so many distributions carry
Mono in their default repositories while relegating other
patent-encumbered technologies like mp3 or DVD playback to "non-free"
status and making it a pain for regular users to find them.

But .NET has gained a lot of popularity with programmers, and many of
them don't understand what "patent-encumbered" even means.  Those are
the people who are going to see MonoDevelop as an alternative to
Gambas (if they even hear of Gambas at all, because the news sites
seem a lot more willing to cover Mono than Gambas.)

Rob