[Gambas-user] Gambas has competition now

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Mar 18 18:58:27 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 12:42, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> I think this is mainly because of the Mono applications: Beagle,
> TomBoy, and F-Spot. Even on Mandriva, if I install KDE, I manually
> remove Mono to prevent Beagle from indexing of my directories. :-)

Yes, I do this too, every time.  But I personally would argue that
ffmpeg and lame are far more useful than any of beagle, tomboy, and
f-spot, and the inclusion of the latter while using patents as an
excuse to exclude the former seems incredibly short-sighted.

> Maybe people should do desktop applications with Gambas, and then
> maybe they will be integrated in the main desktop environments,
> like the above ones.

I agree, except that the kinds of desktop apps I tend to write outside
of work usually involve one or more of the programs I mentioned that
are relegated to the PLF in Mandriva ;-)

Rob