[Gambas-user] Gambas has competition now

Leonardo Miliani leonardo at ...1237...
Tue Mar 18 16:56:50 CET 2008

Rob ha scritto:
> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/03/17/monodevelop-1-0-officially-released
>
> ( http://xrl.us/bhs3j in case the link breaks )
>
> The fruits of Novell's unholy alliance with Microsoft have finally
> reached 1.0, making it the second Free BASIC IDE with GUI designer to
> reach production status (after Gambas), and the first with the
> promise of cross-platform abilities.
>
> I don't think I would touch this with a ten foot pole due to the
> likelihood that Microsoft will start looking for money from Mono
> developers in a couple years, SCO-style, but I have no doubt that
> some organizations will use it.  I also just think that Gambas as a
> language is better designed than VB.NET, let alone C#.
>
> I also think that anyone who is contributing or plans to ever
> contribute to the Gambas IDE, compiler/interpreter or components
> should refrain from downloading MonoDevelop.  It seems likely to me
> that Microsoft or one of its sock puppets would someday try to use
> that as evidence that Gambas developers were ripping off MonoDevelop
> or Mono in general.
>
> Something to keep in mind.
>
> Rob

I dislike Mono.
It's a porting of a closed programming environment for a free system.
Microsoft ever claimed (before and after the joint-venture with Novell)
that Mono is a try of reverse-engineering and I have to grant with this
point of view.

If you use Linux I assume that you're looking for an opensource system
and want to use free languages. But if you have to use a non-free
environment (.Net is Microsoft patent) you could use Windows, don't you?

--
Ciao.
Leo.

Web: www.leonardomiliani.com
E-mail: leonardo at ...1237...

Co-fondatore di Gambas-it.org: www.gambas-it.org
(il sito italiano dedicato alla comunità di Gambas)

Scegli software opensource - Choose opensource software